Friday, June 29, 2007

Roots


Remember the movie "Roots"? It came out in 1978 here in the USA and after its airing thousands flocked to libraries and cemeteries and all types of archival places looking for their ancestors. Me I was already doing that. My mother married a man who was Mormon and its a part of their life to look for ancestors. I knew that I was adopted so the book I was helping create was false. It was his family history not mine. I knew that my birth name was Roder and when I was around 14 I did some snooping and found our adoption papers in a trunk my mother had. I found my fathers name was John and he had been born in NY. I had a birth date even and carried that secret copy of the info with me for many years.

What is the chance that a person will stay where they were born? Zilch in most cases but since that was all I had that was all I could go on. Once the Internet became a reality finding people became much easier but it took me over the next twenty years at least before I found even a glimmer. Three years ago I was at work and my oldest daughter called. "Mom I think I found John" . I could not imagine the possibility of finding my father after so many years. She made the call and a bit later called back its him. I got a brief conversation with him on Mothers Day that year and since then I was asked by his step daughter not to contact him again. To not contact the man I had been looking for! I even agreed to paternity testing but no response. I have continued to look and finally last night I found two cousins. I now know the name of my fathers brothers and more on my past. I also finally looked upon the image of the man whom I was to call father. John is on the left and his brother William is the right. I didn't see a connection. DNA will have to tell the truth. I was born to John but I may not be his child. Shame on Mom.

4 comments:

KhadijaTeri said...

So who is Mom? And why aren't you trying to find her?

old momma said...

I was raised with mom. Her husband adopted us me and two siblings when I was seven. We were given his name. I haven't had much of a relationship with my mother over the last 14 years. I have asked her many times over the years to give me information about my father and all I got was military, two brothers and he left us! Not quite the story John told me, and it doesnt even match with what cousins are now saying. It was said that John may have a low sperm count not impossible to have kids but unlikely and if that is true then John isnt the man. So where does that leave me?

Unknown said...

aa i think that teh photo of you and the photos of the two men show a real resemblence. Allahu aalam. aa

on the edge said...

Hey listen .... meeting up with " LONG LOST" relatives aren't always all you want them to be, let me tell you ! My dad was so laid back when we meet again after 33 years that I was like: well hey am I glade I found you ! His enthusiasum was overwhelming .... NOT ! Sometimes sleeping dogs should be let alone to do thier sleeping , if you get my meaning !Looking foward to more post in the future .