Friday, September 04, 2009

New Opportunities

I guess I have a fan out there besides my brother, and they wanted to know how my other children were doing. I would have probably gotten around to them in the next few letters but until then here's what's happening.

Suhayb now 19, finally graduated from high school and is now attending a local community college. He wasn't too sure what he wanted to study and so I suggested he take his required like Math and English to begin. I explained to him that college is different. Teachers there can be much harder and more is expected as an adult. He was able to get two classes only due to late enrollment. He got English and Sociology. I told him I felt I was never good with English but deviant behaviors of humans was right up my alley. I went to college for 3 yrs and never finished. I tried to go back once and the beginning of the semester lost a child and I gave up on school.

He has only been going a week but he bumped into some old friends and seems to be doing ok. He is the only one who has to wake up early for school. The others being home schooled can sleep in and do work later in the day.

Hard to believe that my first son is going on 20 in October. I often tease my friends, on how handsome our sons have become and how beautiful each of our daughters have became as well. Suhayb was still wanting to be a Hockey Goalie but life just hasn't dealt us good hands with that so far. I do want him to reach out for a dream, as I and his father seem to have never reached our own. He had to write an essay for English the other day and he handed me a story about him and his dream to be a goalie for a pro team one day. I felt like crying, his dream is so strong and his desire is so great and yet seems like it is always just out of his reach. I sat there and wished that some Hockey coach sitting out there somewhere could see this essay and say, "Let me offer this kid a chance to have his dream." But, I don't know any Hockey coaches. As for other things he wants in life a car is always a matter of discussion. He is so tall that both of our cars he has to duck to get in and contort his legs to fit under the steering wheel. But we owe so much on the Taurus and now with the economy its worth less than what we owe so we just can't trade it in. As for the other car, Taher's old beat up Subaru Legacy it is so in need of being taken out back and shot its sad. The car has a great engine and we never have any problems with it but a few years back it got caught up in three separate accidents and its frame is bent and its paint is peeling from sitting under trees that leak sap at his work that its a sorry sight. So for now another car is out of question.

Suhayl, finally hit 17 this year. He got a nasty deal after last school year and like his brother will not graduate on time. He was supposed to be a senior this year and when I brought him to home study they reviewed his grades and he got 10th grade! They don't accept high school scores less than a C and so he has to redo so many of his classes that public school let him pass with F's. He can work quickly to do the courses and hopefully he can finish by next school years end. Suhayl is still one of my most loving children. Each time I see him, he is passing out hugs to me and his sisters. He makes up for me where his father's old styles lack. I need hugs. People need hugs in their lives and for some reason my hubby is not a hugger. So anytime I need one I know who I can go to. He has grown into a handsome young man like his brother and yet he is a reminder of how his father once looked. So often was it remarked how he looked just like his father when we went to Libya. He and Khadijah are the only two who look like their father's side of the family. Suhayl wants to be a computer programmer or a gaming designer. He has the head for it and is often called to fix someones computer on the block. I would love for him to apprentice under someone that fixes computers but things aren't like the old days when you could put a child under an adult and have them learn a trade. So every time I go to the library I find him books that he can read and learn. When he finishes high school I want him to go to a technical school and learn the trade. He's got the talent, and like his brother he has his dreams.

Khadijah I know I mentioned but let me bring her up as well. She is now 14 and becoming such a beautiful girl. This one will be some guys eye turner one day. She has it all looks, perfect frame and brains. She is very smart but she loves anime and has become a very good artist. Its funny how she can see a animation character and draw it almost as if she copied it but tell her to draw something else and you would think Fatimah drew it. I was a good artists in high school and yet mine was landscapes. I could draw somethings so real and others looked like kindergarten work. So I guess I know where she gets it from. I also happened across her ability to write. I was needing to shut down her computer and she had a paper for English up and I printed it out. I wasn't being nosey but the paper had some photos and I began to read. Her tone and style made me feel like a 9th grader again. How it feels to walk down the hall as a new kid and wondering if you will have a old friend in class with you so you don't feel so alone. She hit it on the head. If I can I will post a photo of some of her work if I can get her to find some of her best stuff. I will ask for some writing too.

Lets see, that leaves Aieysha and Fatimah. Since most of my last post dealt with Fatimah I will touch on Aieysha. Aieysha did not want to take the online school option she didn't want the pressure of meeting some teachers needs so I use the work Fatimah does and make her do the work. She struggles with spelling words and I feel for her some days. Aieysha also had a weight problem and now the doctor thinks that it is something she is not going to grow out of. So in the next few weeks she will go to the teen weight clinic and see what we can do. She wants to be a pet vet and yet I try to tell her in the softest manner possible that if you have trouble with 4th grade words this is so much harder. I told her maybe after she is 17, she could apprentice at a local pet shop but the few I talked too didn't seem kind to her. This child has so much love to share and yet people can't see past her. She would have to work with someone who works with kids with special needs or a really understanding person. In the meantime she asked a neighbor to walk her dog for her. In the beginning the neighbor was hesitant but I talked to her and told her that it is a big favor for my daughter as it helps her exercise and it makes her feel good to help others in someway. The dog gives her quite a workout as he is so happy and excited to be out of his yard and pulls her around the neighborhood. I told her when she was older and living on her own maybe she could work at a training school for animals or a shelter giving animals extra love. She has so much to give if she is just given a chance.

Last night, I was sitting with Khadijah and talking about Adam and Eve. She said, "Do we all come from them?" Well that is what our holy books teach us, I explained, and yet how do we not all look like each other was her answer. I told her of a article I had read on National Geographic channel I had read the other day. Scientists believe that we all originated from Africa. Here is where Adam and Eve would have landed after leaving the Garden of Eden. So that can explain the earliest of bones coming from that region. But these people were not white like all the pictures found in so many places around the world. Africa was a warm place and like great grandmother explained, "People in warm places had to be dark so they would not get sunburns and so that is why people are different colors." So how is it that all our churches have paintings of white people? Anyway, the article said that we came from one couple and that each generation there was a genetic chance that a mutation could occur. And that if a generation failed to reproduce certain genetic factors were lost and others became stronger. I told her, "look at your siblings, each of you have some trait of your parents yet none of you are identical to each other." Only her and Suhayl look like their fathers side. Everyone else except Melissa looks more like me while Melissa looks like her father. I told her each of them had bits and pieces of their ancestors that are carried on and with each generation some are lost and some stay until a later generation. That is why I like to look at old photos of my ancestors and see if I see something in them that has been passed on. Like your ears, I told Khadijah are from your great grandfather on my side. Grandpa had big ears and when she was born I knew just where they had came from. One thing I could never figure out though was if Adam and Eve were the first and their son killed his brother and then fled, who where the people he found? I figure there is an answer out there. Maybe Adam and Eve were the first of many? Also if Adam and Eve looked like us and they were the first, then why don't the oldest bones on earth looking just like us too? I feel they didn't look like us because we evolved as humans. God, put us here to nurture and grow and change. Like our animal companions we changed to fit the world we were given. Some days I don't think we evolved very well. Suhayb ask me the other day if I believed that the world was going to change or end in 12/24/2012. The Mayans and Aztecs think we will. I don't know I told him. I don't think God is done with us yet but with all that happens in this world. I feel some days that our end is closer than we want it to be. I told him remember when Fatimah was born, 09/09/99. All those fears of nuclear explosions due to computers reading 9999. Well we woke up the next day didn't we? Well lets go to sleep on 12/23/2012 and hope that if God sees fit we will wake to find the morning. Regardless of what man does to the day. There are days when he is so much like me...

No comments: