Monday, June 19, 2006

All Our Bags are Packed and Ready to Go

Well the airlines told me 2 bags checked for each person not weighing more than 50 lbs. And a carry on for each person of less than 20 lbs that can fit in an overhead. Well being a military brat I said hey lets just use boxes and save on the extra weight! I had five boxes packed each measured to exacting airline requirements. I had a bag of medical supplies for Fatimah and a bag for each of the other kids all ready. Well last Saturday my husband storms in and starts telling me I didn't know anything about packing! That we needed suitcases for everything! So off to find some bags. Well of course I had shopped for bags before so I knew how much they ran and the best places to buy them. But hey I don't know anything. So after 4 stores we ended up at the local Target the store I had first suggested, and found a deal on luggage. Eight pieces for 52.00$. A steal deal. The problem they only had one set left. So I asked if they could check availability at local stores. Well since the scan code was identical to another item but not the bonus deal, the store could not tell me just by the item code. So I had to call a few stores to find someone who could do a visual check. A store on the north side of town had 7 in stock. Well since it was tottering around 100 degrees that day we went home and ate lunch and then went out again. We got two more and he asked if I needed another one. I told him lets wait to see how the bags did and if I needed another set he could pick one up when he had time the next day.

Needless to say, I managed to pack everything into the bags. And I still have 200 lbs. To go! And two bags or boxes I can pack stuff in. We ended up buying another set when we finally went out to buy the final gifts for the family. But hey I now have a lifetime of luggage!

Funny, I look to my shopping here and wonder how different things will be in Libya? No Target or Walmart there. No superstores or mega malls. Although I don't go there I will miss how they cover the landscape of our city. I have a friend that has lived in Libya for 16 years now and I think how much our city has changed. If you don't know the main roads you would be lost. I went to a new mall area last week and boy what they accomplish in a few months. The even put in a mega cinema. Shall I tell Sister Khadijah just how soon houses and businesses are built here?

No comments: