Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Week and Counting

Well after I posted the others I realized that many people had commented on some things that I thought would be neat to tell you more about. First, my house was built by my father-in-law. Back many years ago, he had five businesses for building houses. All the iron work and cabinets and tile work he did. So yes it is beautiful, how could it be anything less? Next, is the outhouse. Hey as compared to the one I grew up with it is modern. It flushes. And has an actual toilet. I was one of those kids who had a wooden outhouse with the moon cut in the door for light and a stool that you sat on that covered the hole for waste. Don't think about what came up. If you ever roughed it in the mountains you know what I am talking about. I spoke about corncobs. well I wish they were like what we eat in the USA, but they skin them and roast them over a fire to eat. Burnt and tough. I told my sister-in-law I would show her american corncobs one day soon. I found out they have butter but not in the house. As to my pantry at home the cupboards are a bit bare and lacking of many of the spices that I am use to using. I guess they have them I just haven't found a store yet that had more than a few items of staples. I can't believe that in walking distance I have over 50 stores I can go to. From haircuts to household items. I even found the hardware store with appliances. Boy those big washers looked so nice. And they have microwaves too. Guess what I want first? I'm doing laundry in my kitchen sink as my mother-in-law thinks I use to much water. Well with a daughter with exema what can I do. So what they don't see. And I strung two lines off my balcony so I can hang those undies out of sight of the men in the family. The kids actually made me breakdown today. Nothing is like they are use too but I tell them oh well. You can either get use to it or we go back plain and simple. Family politics came into play yesterday. My youngest stubbed her toe and was crying and they grocery guy took her to his house to fix it. Well no one knew where she was at and you don't go yelling down the street "Fatimah". They informed me that she was at the grocers house and I went to see if she was ok. Of course I was invited in and after a bit of chatting in arabic and english and italian we had tea and coffee and cakes. They were so nice. I later found out that they were relatives of a friend of my hubby. He works in Canada and helped me get through all the hastles of getting here. But when I went back home they family was saying oh she should not go out by herself and visit people. Hey they don't know my social butterfly! Anyway I promised that I would tell her not to go to peoples houses without me knowing. What do I have to worry for here? Everyone for at least five streets knows who we are and where she lives. You wonder how I know so many languages? Well I met my husband through and ESL student of mine. I can understand the jist of most languages if I pay attention. A god given gift I guess. Plus I worked with deaf and blind kids most of my teen years so mine and minic get me pretty far. Mafeesh is hardly spoken each day. Today some ladies stopped by and were chatting with us and my father-in-law joined us. Well they asked me to go get a cushion I thought and when I brought one and told him to sit down he raised his cane and shook it at me. Well me in all my american glory chased him around the area and told him that I was sorry he wanted a chair instead. The ladies rolled with laughter. Me chasing a 81 yr old man around the room. He so reminds me of my hubby in our earlier years. And he tells me I am just like his wife. My hubby use to tell me the same thing.. I commented to her that I love the Libyan old womans cover and that I wanted one. And she told me that how is it that none of her daughters wanted to wear it but me the american woman wants one? Her daughters laughed when we repeated the story. I love old cultures. Send me back a few hundred years and I would probably be more happier. Although I do love hot water and toilets. But hey even the Romans had hot water and toilets. Well better go my son has complained all week why we didnt get hi-speed internet yet? So what internet cards we have he is using. I hope to resolve him and his internet soon. Anyone know of a good job I can get for a few months? Swaya arabi, but english is a plus. I can do just about any job if given the chance. Khadijah I haven't forgotten you. I lost your number so please email me so I can meet up with you. Then if you know where the Murad Agha mosque is we can meet there if necessary as I live walking distance from it but there are no address or streets so I guess we can figure out something. Ok keep looking back for more. oldmomma.

No comments: